Wednesday, April 17, 2024

PM launches first social housing accelerator project in Carlton

More Victorians will have a place to call home in inner Melbourne, as the redevelopment of the old Carlton red brick public housing towers becomes the first Social Housing Accelerator project announced in the nation, thanks to a partnership between the Federal and Victorian Governments.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, Premier Daniel Andrews and Victorian Minister for Housing, Colin Brooks today visited the now-vacant Carlton site to announce the project, with demolition scheduled to begin next year.

The redevelopment will be wholly funded by the Federal Government’s Social Housing Accelerator and replace the 196 outdated, uninhabitable dwellings – built in the 1960s – with 231 modern, energy efficient homes for Victorians, increasing housing on the site by at least 10%.

The 231 homes will form part of 769 homes Victoria will deliver as part of the Social Housing Accelerator investment – with the Federal Government delivering almost $500 million for new social housing stock in Victoria on top of the State Government’s $5.3 billion Big Housing Build, and the recently announced $1 billion Regional Housing Fund.

“Every Australian deserves the security of a roof over their head – our steps to deliver more homes around the country under the Social Housing Accelerator start right here in Carlton, where this housing will be given a modern rebuild to last for the long haul,” the Prime Minister said today.

“We know Victorians want practical solutions, and we’re working with the Andrews Government to get on with the job of delivering more social housing.

“The Social Housing Accelerator is real dollars, driving real change and building more homes for Australians, and is part of our ambitious housing agenda, which includes the delivery of 30,000 social and affordable homes through our Housing Australia Future Fund,” he said.

When complete, former residents of the Carlton towers will be invited to return to live in the new homes on the site, which will also be used to house tenants who live in other public housing redevelopment projects while they are underway, said Premier Andrews.

“Nothing is more important than finding a home – and it should be a place of pride, comfort, and security,” the Premier said.

“Carlton is just the first of 769 homes we’ll build in Victoria as part of the Accelerator program – on top of the 12,000 social homes we’re delivering as part of the landmark Big Housing Build.”

Today’s announcement builds on last month’s agreement by National Cabinet to the most significant housing reforms in a generation, including a new national target to build 1.2 million new well-located homes, the National Planning Reform Blueprint, and A Better Deal for Renters.

At National Cabinet, the Federal Government also committed $3 billion to the New Homes Bonus to incentivise states and territories to undertake the reforms necessary to reach the 1.2 million well-located homes target, and $500 million for the Housing Support Program to help local and state governments deliver new housing supply in well-located areas.

“Our Big Housing Build is an historic investment in housing, but we’re not stopping there. All over the state hundreds of workers are getting on with delivering on thousands of houses, so more Victorians have a safe place to call home,” said Minister Brooks.

Since Victoria’s Big Housing Build started in November 2020, more than 7,600 homes have been completed or are underway, and more than 2,800 are complete.

Latest Articles