Monday, June 24, 2024

NT bail change to cut knife crime

Northern Territory Chief Minister, Natasha Fyles, today announced urgent bail legislation will be introduced to parliament to see a new presumption against bail for violent offences involving a weapon.

The Chief Minister said there will also be a presumption against bail for co-offenders who participate in violent offences involving a weapon, even if they do not possess the weapon themselves.

These latest changes will apply to youth and adults.

A review into bail for weapon offences remains ongoing, but these are early changes that have already been identified for strengthening – with the Chief Minister instructing they were to be introduced as a matter of urgency, her Office said today.

The changes are expected to be debated in parliament tomorrow.

 “Enough is enough – if you are charged with a violent offence involving a weapon – it is expected that you will sit on remand and out of the community until your case is heard,” said Ms Fyles..

“We refuse to let knife crime become the norm here in the Territory and these changes send a strong message to the community.

“This is just one of many initiatives announced by the Territory Labor Government to tackle and deter violent offending – with more announcements imminent.

“We are a government that acts. We will leave no stone unturned and we will never stop looking at ways to improve community safety.”

The move follows the shock fatal stabbing of young bottle shop worker, Declan Laverty in Darwin.

Thousands of protestors gathered at Parliament House in Darwin at the weekend in response to the alleged murder, calling for a strengthening of laws in relation to violent crime.

“The safety of our community is paramount and these changes are in line with community expectations,” said Attorney General and Minister for Justice, Chansey Paech today.

“Over the last week we have been meeting with relevant agencies to ensure these changes wouldn’t have unintended consequences.

Latest Articles