Saturday, April 20, 2024

Family of slain WA Police officer say pain is ‘indescribable’

A 28-year-old WA Police officer who died yesterday from injuries sustained when he was run over by a car in Perth last week, is being remembered as a dedicated member of the police force, while his family say the pain of their loss is “indescribable”.

Constable Anthony Woods was run over after stopping a vehicle with allegedly stolen number plates at 1am on Thursday, 8 June.

Police say that as Constable Woods and other officers attempted to detain the three occupants in the car, the young officer was run over, dragged and then pinned under the car as it attempted to flee the scene.

After more than three days in hospital, tragically, Constable Woods died of his injuries yesterday.

“The WA Police Force today mourns the passing of constable Anthony Woods, who succumbed to injuries suffered in the line of duty, while attending an incident in Ascot earlier this week,” read a statement from WA Police issued on Sunday evening.

“Constable Anthony Woods exemplified the values of the WA Police Force, and his memory will be forever etched in our hearts.

“Police extend heartfelt condolences to Anthony’s family, colleagues, and all those who knew and loved him.”

In a statement released by Constable Woods’ family this morning, he is described as a devoted husband and loving son.

“We are shattered to lose our dear Anthony. He was a devoted husband and loving son, brother, and uncle who was taken from this earth far too soon,” the family statement reads.

“Anthony will be remembered as a funny, hard-working man who loved the West Coast Eagles and mucking around with his mates.

“He brought light and laughter to every situation, and his wicked sense of humour is irreplaceable.

“Our pain at this time is indescribable, and we take comfort in the outpouring of love from the community.

“We ask that you keep Anthony’s memory alive by telling stories of all of your good times with him.

“Thank you.”

Late last week, WA Police Commissioner, Col Blanch praised the efforts of Constable Woods’ colleagues who tried desperately to keep the young officer alive in the immediate aftermath of the horrific incident.

“When the officer was pinned underneath the car, his partner immediately took hold of the three suspects in the car,” the Commissioner said at a press conference late last week.

“It’s amazing what this officer has done…to secure three offenders at that time, at 1am in a dark street, with help still minutes away.”

The Commissioner said Constable Woods’ partner then worked with other officers who arrived on the scene to help their injured colleague.

“The vehicle was very heavy so he was trying to find a way to get the vehicle off his partner,” he said.

“A few minutes later another police unit turned up … and they all worked together in a very, very dynamic fashion to get the car off the other officer.

“They did retrieve a car jack but others were lifting the car at the same time.”

The officers also performed CPR on Constable Woods before paramedics arrived. He then spent a number of days in Royal Perth Hospital’s critical care unit.

“I’m extremely proud of WA Police but this is a time where we feel sadness, I certainly feel anger as well,” Commissioner Blanch said.

WA Police headquarters, Council House and the Matagarup Bridge in Perth were lit up in blue overnight to honour Constable Woods.

“I am devastated by the horrific events that occurred last week, resulting in the death of one of our Police Officers,” said WA Premier, Roger Cook in a statement online.

“Actions like these are senseless — and going to work should be safe.

“I know I speak on behalf of everyone in WA, in sending our love and thoughts to Anthony’s family, friends and colleagues.

“His life was dedicated to making our state a safer place for Western Australians and he is to be commended on his dedication and bravery.”

Reagan Ainsley Chown, 23, has been charged over the incident. He appeared in court on Friday and was remanded in custody until his next appearance in July.

The vehicle’s other occupants, a woman, 20, and man, 25, were released pending further investigation.

Latest Articles