NT man charged with large-scale theft and deception offences

The Northern Territory Police Major Fraud Squad has arrested a 52-year-old male following an extensive investigation into allegations of large-scale theft and deception offences.

Operation Cheyenne was established in December last year to investigate allegations the man stole property, including plant and equipment and building materials between August 2021 and June 2025 to improve his properties.

“It is alleged that the man stole property, including plant and equipment and building materials to improve his two properties on Old Bynoe Rd, Livingstone with a total loss in the order of $1.33 million,” NT Police said in a statement.

“On Wednesday, 1 April 2026, the Major Fraud Squad executed search warrants with assistance from other members of the Financial Crimes Section and other specialist units, at two separate properties on Old Bynoe Road, Livingstone.”

During the searches, police recovered around $123,000 worth of allegedly stolen plant and equipment. Police also identified 32 explosive ordnance items suspected of having military origin, unsafe for public possession including Second World War munitions, hand grenades, rocket components and warheads.

“Fraud is reported by the Australian Institute of Criminology as costing Australians more than $5 billion per year,” said Major Fraud Squad Detective Sergeant Nicholas George.

“The resolution of this operation involved collaboration with federal partners and through continued co-operation we will investigate, prosecute, and disrupt anyone who commits Fraud in the Northern Territory.”

These items were subsequently released to the Australian Defence Forces Northern Territory Joint Explosive Ordnance Support team for secure storage and referral through to the Australian Federal Police.

The 52-year-old male was arrested and charged with:

  • 7 x Obtaining property by Deception contrary to section 228 AH Criminal Code Act 1983 (NT)
  • 1 x Theft contrary to section 217 Criminal Code Act 1983 (NT)

The Australian Federal Police also charged the man with the following Commonwealth offences:

  • One count dishonestly took property belonging to a Commonwealth entity namely military grade munitions and ordnances contrary to section 132.8 (1) of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth).
  • One count dishonestly retained property belonging to a Commonwealth entity namely military grade munitions and ordnances contrary to section 132.8 (2) of the Criminal Code Act 1995 (Cth).

He appeared at Darwin Local Court on 2 April and was bailed to appear in court on 20 June.

Latest Articles